Saturday, September 18, 2010

Song of Truth.

     Hello there readers! This is my first-ever blog, so let me just give you a sum-up of who I am. I'm Cienna, a freshman here at Cal. State Long Beach where I'm majoring in film and plan to be Mrs. Spielberg, NOT legally though. XD I love music, whether it's just listening to it or playing it on my many instruments: the saxophone, violin, and piano. Recently, I've been listening to tunes on the radio since I'm in the car frequently, and I now realize how many songs there are out there that have no substance at all. The hits that the music world pops out nowadays mainly consist of loud beats and electronic crap turned into gold. However, we fall in love with these songs due to the rhthym, its beat, but lastly considered is the lyrics. Then when you actually take a moment to listen to the catchy words that sing in between the distracting beats, you discover that the song's content is about either getting wasted, sex, crime, and partying. Nothing to it more than that, yet it's us, the audience, who fall victims to this noise and become fans of it by feeding our attentions to this genre. 
     There are some rarities out there that defend music's reputation with a good name though. For example, I heard this fresh upbeat song called, "King of Anything" by Sara Bareilles, while switching radio stations in the car. It was beautiful compared to the repetitive songs I hear playing on everyother 2 minutes. There was actual substance and meaning to the song where Bareilles confronts the unequality roles that play into a relationship. One partner would tend to be the domineering individual who doesn't give the other any freedom in voicing their opinions to being in charge of their own lives. Sure, most of us have all been in that type of scenario and for those of us who haven't, well Bareilles does a simple fun tune on breaking it down for the audience. It's songs like these that tell a compelling story behind it and make the song worthwhile to lend an ear to. We can only hope that from here the music world steps it up for the better.

Check out the song! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7-AUmiNcA&ob=av2e

5 comments:

  1. Hey~! That was a really good blog post! I have to agree with your point on today's songs. It's almost like every time I turn on the radio the lyrics to the song have to do with sex, drugs, etc. To be honest I tend to ask myself, "What ever happened to the songs that talk about life and the simple things?" The song you posted was one such song that pointed out such a simple truth! I also find it admirable that you're able to play more than one instrument (including my favorite one to listen to, the violin!). Keep up the great blogging~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so far really enjoying your blog, Cienna, please keep it up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to the radio whenever I’m in the car, and I know exactly what you mean. Music is losing its meaning these days, and I think the lyrics are the most important part of a song. When people write songs, they should pour out their heart and soul and turn mere words into so much more. But it seems like some song writers just write to make money, or that’s the way it seems with some of the lyrics I’ve been hearing. Personally, I think rock and alternative songs have a lot more meaning in them. I don’t listen to hip hop very often, but it seems like those are the type of songs that have a catchy beat and the lyrics don’t mean much. On the other hand, the songs I’ve heard on K-ROQ and Star 98.7 have a lot more emotion, and I find those more appealing. Music is one of my passions in life; I like the songs that speak to you. One of my favorite quotes is, “Where words fail music speaks.”
    Also, I followed the link and listened to that song; I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your responses guys! :]
    @Alyssa: Honestly, I'm guilty for liking some of those artists whose song themes are all dedicated to the negative of all the above I had mentioned. Ke$ha,Adam Lambert,and more are mostly just songs to party to and for its catchy beats. However, I still yearn to hear more creative songs full of substance. Lol and thanks for the instrument compliment! Yeah, I haven't played the violin for awhile though, so I need to pick up that again.
    @Nikki: Star 98.7 huh? I'll give them a shot to listen too. I've listened to K-ROQ a few times and they do have some good tunes up to a point for me where it starts to just sound like screaming noise lol. Yeah it is funny how hip hop it's all the same theme for the songs, hmm. I like that quote; it really clicks! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I'm glad that someone actually notices this too. I dont even bother listening to the radio anymore, It's so overrun with the crap you were talking about that it's not even listenable. There are a few gems out there on the radio but you're right most of it is mindless. There really should be more songs with deep meanings behind them like you said, but of course the retarded ones with reign supreme. Really good post it was very enjoyable to say the least!

    ReplyDelete