Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Struggles to becoming a Model/Actress

  Some of you may think that achieving stardom, fame, and all that jazz is but a step away if you really pursued it. WRONG. I used to be one of those wishful thinkers who had her head in the clouds of such a dream. Let's face it, it's unrealistic to be thinking that opportunity will fall into your lap on its own. In order to make it in the entertainment business, immense effort and determination is required and sometimes even giving it all your best isn't enough.  This dream, fairy tale, career ambition is a journey that takes place on a road of nearly infinite miles...For those of you who are interested in going forth on this "dream", well take a seat as I pull up some key pointers to aid you in coming closer to it. Good luck!
  1. Head shot- (hĕd'shŏt') n. A portrait of someone's face and upper body.
     I cannot stress on how important and VITAL it is to have one of these babies. There's not a professional actor/actress, model, or anyone involved in the entertainment business who doesn't have one. Not only is a head shot considered as your resume, but it also acts as an i.d. of YOU. As soon as you walk into an audition with your head shot, the casting director can immediately decide within 2 seconds on whether they'd cast you or not BASED on the head shot only. So when you're investing in your head shots, make sure that they're not done at portrait places i.e. Sears, JcPenny's, etc. because casting directors can tell if you have, and that's not the sort of picture they're looking for from you. The best way to get it all done once and started is to pay a professional photographer, who has their own studio, for your shots. Head shots can range thousands of pretty pennies to a more bargaining price, but you'll need to do your homework on researching for the reasonably-priced photographer. Other than the head shot letting the director know that you mean business, it also gives him/her an insight of the different roles you can be cast in.So get this first step done, and stay tuned for the next piece on "AUDITIONS".

2 comments:

  1. When I was about 12 years old I took acting classes with Gary Spatz, and I just loved it. He coached the cast from the Suite Life of Zach and Cody, Everybody Loves Raymond, Roseanne, That 70's Show, Malcolm in the Middle, and so on. I had head shots and everything! This just makes me want to go back more and more; I miss acting so much. I stopped because I couldn't make time for it because I was on a dance team, but I've been wanting to start up again..hopefully I can. Do you take acting classes? How long have you been acting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what you said about head shots really makes me want one! Not that i need one for any reason but the way you said it makes it feel really important. Getting into acting and modeling seems very rough and you need really thick skin to get through those nasty rejections. Knowing you, though, you wont have to many of those! I also agree with what you said about hard work and determination. People who are big stars, well most of them anyway, had to work extremely hard to get where they are today. Tho only other way it happens is pure luck and you cant rely on that, so keep it up and I know you'll succeed!

    ReplyDelete